Rather departing from either the "bullet-shaped" nose of early Shinkansens like the 0-Series or latter "sharklike-shaped" nose of the 500-Series, the 800-Series has a much rounder, yet aerodynamic, nose. All 800-Series are 6-car sets, and have a 160 mph (260 km/h) service speed.
These are the first batch of the series. Numbered U001 to U006; U001 was delivered by Hitachi on the 30th of August 2003, through to U006 which was delivered on the 18th of July 2005. Cars 2 and 5 are the pantograph cars.
800-Series (2009- present )Edit
These are three new sets for the JR Kyushu line. Numbered U007 to U009; the former was delivered on the 8th of August 2009 and U008 was delivered in April 2010. U009 was delivered, JR Kyushu saying that it would be delivered by the autumn of 2010 in a press release of December 2008. The only changes over the first batch are: livery colors/designs, and new seat covers for passengers. Cars 2 and 5 are the pantograph cars.
- Built: 2003-2010
- Builder: Hitachi
- Number built: 9 sets
- Formation: 6-car sets
- Car body construction: Aluminum
- Car length: 82 ft (25,000 mm) (middle cars), 89 ft 9 in (27,350 mm) (head/tail cars)
- Width: 11 ft 1 in (3,380 mm)
- Height: 12 ft (3,650 mm)
- Maximum speed: 160 mph (260 km/h) (service max), 177 mph (285 km/h) (designed)
- Electrical system: 25 kV AC, 60 Hz overhead wires
- Collection method: Pantograph
- Gauge: 4 ft 8½ in (1,435 mm)