They were used in passenger service, these engines were eventually taken out of service by more powerful steam and diesel locomotives on the Chinese rail system.
These engines also does freight service and the occasional.
They were all retired in the early 1980s cause they were eventually taken out of service by more powerful steam and diesel locomotives on the Chinese rail system and they were all scrapped but there are 3 that Preserved today.
The 3 locomotives that preserved are:
- RM-1001 is preserved at the China Railway Museum.
- RM-1163 is preserved at a park in Aioi, Japan.
- RM-1247 is preserved at the Shenyang Railway Museum.
- These locomotives are examples of Chinese locomotives with smoke deflectors, and red driving wheels.
- Many parts were designed to be interchangeable with the JS class.
- The RMs' early demise was inevitable as train weights outgrew their capabilities but it could have been so different.