The Nippon Sharyo FRA DMU is, as its name implies, an FRA (US Federal Railroad Administration) compliant Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) built for both the Sonoma-Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) in California and Metrolinx (UP Express) in Ontario, Canada.
According to Nippon Sharyo these DMUs are convertible to electric traction.
- Length: 85ft/car (mated into 2 or 3 units per trainset)
- Top speed: 90mph (Restricted to 79mph for SMART)
- Powertrain: Cummins QSK19-R, Tier 4 compliant, 6 speed automatic transmission
- Power output: 760hp
- Interior power: Powered by mix of engine power and regenerative braking.
- Number built: 32 powered cars (18 for Metrolinx, 14 for SMART)